Star Manufacturing

Office: (830) 401-5951

Jim's Cars

1968mustang_01
1968 Ford Mustang GT
1971bmw_01
1971 BMW E9 3.0CSi
1973alfa_01
1973 Alfa Romeo Montreal
1988_bmw_m3_1
1988 BMW E30 M3
1995_bmw_850csi_1
1995 BMW E31 850CSi
1968_ferrari_365_gt_1
1968 Ferrari 365 GT 2+2
1962_alfa_1
1962 Alfa Romeo Giulietta
1968_mercedes_1
1968 Mercedes 280SE
1932_packard_1
1932 Packard Light Eight
1966_porsche_912_1
1966 Porsche 912
2003_bmw_m3_1
2003 BMW M3

1968 Ford Mustang GT California Special

This Ford Mustang GT is one of 4,118 examples ordered with
1968-only California Special equipment, and was built in San Jose, California,
for sale at Dunlop Ford of Lethbridge, Alberta. The car was acquired by its
current owner in 2011 and subsequently underwent a refurbishment that included
a repaint in its factory Sea Foam Green. Power comes from a replacement 390ci
V8 paired with a four-speed manual transmission, and equipment includes chrome
14″ GT wheels, a rear spoiler, faux side scoops, fog lights, black vinyl
upholstery, and an AM radio. This California Special coupe is offered on dealer
consignment in Canada with refurbishment records and photos, a reproduction
window sticker, an Elite Marti report, and Alberta registration.

The car was mounted to a rotisserie for body repairs and refinished in its factory shade of Sea Foam Green as part of the refurbishment. Details include white GT/CS stripes, a special fuel cap, a retractable antenna, hood vents and exposed locks, a fiberglass rear spoiler, quarter panel extensions, and a revised taillight panel.

Chrome-finished 14″ GT steel wheels with beauty rings are wrapped in F70-15 Firestone Wide Oval raised white-letter tires. Stopping is handled by power-assisted front disc and rear drum brakes.

The cabin features front bucket seats and a rear bench trimmed in black vinyl along with a matching dashboard, door panels, and carpets, the latter of which are protected with Mustang-branded floor mats. Equipment includes a glovebox, an AM radio, lap belts, and a heater.

The optional Deluxe steering wheel frames a 120-mph speedometer and a tachometer as well as fuel and coolant temperature gauges. The five-digit odometer shows 55k miles, approximately 400 of which have been added by the previous owner. Total mileage is unknown.

The 390ci V8 is said to use a replacement block that was fitted early in the car’s life. The engine features a four-barrel carburetor and was rated at 325 horsepower and 427 lb-ft of torque when new.

Euro 1971 BMW 3.0CSi 5-Speed

This 1971 BMW 3.0CSi is a European-specification example that is said to have been first delivered to Beilharz BMW of Vöhringen, Germany, and reportedly underwent a mechanical and cosmetic refurbishment prior to 2018. The car is finished in blue over tan cloth upholstery and powered by a numbers-matching 3.0-liter inline-six paired with a five-speed manual transmission. Equipment includes 16″ Alpina wheels, a sunroof, power windows, four-wheel disc brakes, air conditioning, and polished exterior trim. This E9 is now offered in Leipzig, Germany, with the removed factory wheels with tires and German registration.

After an extended period of storage, the body is said to have been taken down to bare metal prior to a repaint in the factory Baikal Metallic (042) under prior ownership. Equipment consists of polished trim, chrome bumpers with black impact strips, and a single exhaust outlet.

Alpina 16″ alloy wheels are mounted with a mixed set of Goodyear and Continental tires. Stopping power is provided by four-wheel disc brakes. The factory-installed 14″ wheels with roundel center caps mounted with Maxxis were included with the sale.

The manually-adjustable seats are trimmed in tan cloth and are joined by matching door panels and brown carpets. Equipment includes a push-button BMW Bavaria radio, air conditioning, wood trim accents, power windows, and a sunroof.

An Alpina three-spoke steering wheel frames a 240-km/h speedometer, a tachometer, a clock, and auxiliary gauges. The five-digit odometer shows 63k kilometers (~39k miles).

The numbers-matching 3.0-liter M30B30 inline-six features an aluminum cylinder head and Bosch D-Jetronic fuel injection. The engine was reportedly resealed under prior ownership and was factory rated at 197 horsepower and 200 lb-ft of torque.

 

1973 Alfa Romeo Montreal

The Montreal is one of the most sophisticated and striking post-war Alfa Romeo production cars. It uses a detuned version of the quad-cam, fuel-injected, dry sump V8 used in the legendary Tipo 33 prototype racecar. The Montreal has a Spica mechanical fuel injection system, a five-speed ZF manual gearbox, front independent suspension, a live rear axle with coil-spring suspension, four-wheel disc brakes and a chassis derived from the iconic 105-series cars. Designed by Bertone, the Montreal was wide and low with a shark-like nose extending through a curved fender and shoulder haunches into a truncated tail. The headlight “blinds” and stacked horizontal vents on the C-pillar were rather attractive and very futuristic at the time. The V8 produces 200bhp taking only 7.1 seconds to get to 60mph and reaching 140mph back in 1971! Besides its stunning looks, the Montreal is practical with a 2+2 seating configuration and a full trunk enclosed by a glass hatchback.

Orange, Black interior with Beige cloth inserts, Black dashboard, Grey carpeting, Restored, 2.6 Liter V8 engine, 5-speed manual gearbox.  

This Montreal was sold new to its first owner in The Netherlands in February 1973.  It was reportedly with the original owner until 1989 when sold to its second owner also in The Netherlands.  History resumes in 2017 when acquired by its next custodian.  This owner entrusted Italclassic of Alicante, Spain to carry out restoration work.  This included refinishing the exterior in orange, refreshing the interior, tuning the fuel-injection system, and installing a new exhaust system and jacking points.  In 2018 Alfa Romeo specialist, Sam Van Lingen of the Netherlands, installed new fuel injectors and set the valve clearance. The Montreal also received new fluids, filters, and hoses along with an upgraded water pump.

The Montreal was then sold in 2019 and imported to its previous owner in California.  
A truly iconic sports car, this Alfa is comfortable, yet dialed in for around-town or long highway cruising.  A recent road test attests to the car performing excellent in every way and it is ready for immediate use and enjoyment.  The engine pulls extremely well with plenty of horsepower and torque, the mechanical injection is set up properly and the gearbox and clutch feel as new.

With just 3,925 examples built between 1971 and 1977, this Montreal is both rare, exotic and a lot of fun to drive and worthy of a place in any collection.  This Montreal is complete with its original service book, original Netherlands registrations, spare tire and recent service records.

1988 BMW E30 M3

In the mid-1980s, BMW tasked its Motorsport Division with homologating the E30 3 Series for Group A racing in Europe. Group A specs allowed minimal changes from cars produced in production runs of 5,000 units built for street use, so BMW’s M division reengineered almost every aspect of the 3 Series platform for a large production run. What emerged was the radically styled box-fendered M3 in 1986, with the hood and roof being the only bodywork shared with the standard 3 Series coupe.

Underneath the M3’s flared fenders was a thoroughly reworked front suspension as well as new BBS wheels, larger brakes, and larger tires. The 2.3-liter S14 motor started with a block similar to the one used in the 320i, and added a 16-valve head to produce 192 hp in North American trim. This free-revving powerplant motivated the M3 to the tune of a sub-7-second 0-60 dash and a 146-mph top speed that complemented its neutral and confidence-inspiring handling.

Almost 15,000 first generation M3’s were built from 1986-1992, with just over 5,000 coming to the U.S. from the middle of 1987 (as 1988 model year cars) until the end of 1991. Throughout the production run there were a myriad of changes to interior and exterior colors, and in 1990 changes to the North American cars included aluminum control arms, a driver’s side airbag, and the option of a glass sunroof.

Other than valve adjustments every 15,000 miles and occasional leaks in valve cover and oil pan seals, first-generation BMW M3s demand very little of their owners. Collectors should note that a very small number of E30 M3 convertibles made it to North America, as well as a handful of Euro-spec cars that can be identified by their differing transmission and shift pattern that includes a dog-leg first gear. Various special editions were available in Europe that included Evo I, Evo II, and Lightweight cars that were not offered in the U.S.

1995 BMW E31 850CSi

As a top-of-the-range variant of the 8 Series, the 850CSi took over from the prototype M8 variant. The 850CSi used the same engine as the 850i, which was tuned so significantly that BMW assigned it a new engine code: S70B56. The modifications included Bosch Motronic 1.7 fuel injection, a capacity increase to 5,576 cc (5.6 L) and power increase to 375 hp at 5,300 rpm and 406 lbf⋅ft of torque at 4,000 rpm. Road & Track recorded a 0-60 mph (0–97 km/h) time for the 850CSi of 5.9 seconds.

The 850CSi’s modified suspension included stiffer springs and dampers that reduced the car’s ride height. The recirculating ball steering ratio was dropped 15% over the standard E31 setup. The model also sported staggered throwing star wheels. The front and rear bumpers were reshaped for improved aerodynamic performance. Four round stainless steel exhaust tips replaced the square tips found on other models. The 6-speed manual gearbox was the only transmission option. In Europe, all 850CSi’s came with four-wheel steering (AHK – Aktive Hinterachs-Kinematik, Active rear axle Kinematics), upgraded and ventilated brakes with floating front discs, rear differential oil cooler, engine oil cooler, two-tone interior, sports seats, and reshaped mirrors. In the United States, the cars instead received “BMW Motorsport” writing on the doorhandles.

Production ended in late 1996 because the S70 engine could not be modified to comply with new emission regulations without substantial re-engineering.

1968 Ferrari 365 GT 2+2

The 365 GT 2+2 was launched at the Paris Salon in October 1967. Sleekly styled in the manner of the limited-edition 500 Superfast, the 365 GT 2+2 was the most refined Ferrari to date.

Based on the contemporary 330 GTC, the chassis was made of Ferrari’s familiar combination of oval and round steel tubing. Developing 320 hp in its 365 GT incarnation, the well-proven 4.4-liter V12 engine was coupled to a 5-speed gearbox, and the car’s blistering performance (top speed 150 mph, 0-60 mph in 7 seconds) was restrained by Girling ventilated discs all around. Endowed with an unusual combination of fine handling and a supple ride, the 365 GT 2+2 Coupe was rated by Car magazine as “the most civilised Ferrari yet.”

1962 Alfa Romeo Giulietta

Until the early 1950s, Alfa Romeo was a large engineering company that also produced a small number of high luxury motor vehicle chassis, practically made by hand, with the bodywork fitted externally. The company already began changing skin with the 1900, turning itself into a regular automobile manufacturer with the mass production of complete vehicles. However the model that truly established the transformation was the Giulietta with just 1300 CC.

With the Giulietta, Alfa Romeo entered a new market segment – that of sports vehicles with medium-small displacement: a segment that practically concurred with the Portello brand for three decades. The Giulietta is, therefore, possibly the most important of all the Alfa Romeo vehicles, the progenitor of an infinite series of models that have conquered markets all over the world: despite being based on a solid prior tradition, it is the model on which Alfa’s success rests. Launched in 1954 in the Coupé version, it was then produced in a Spider and Saloon version. The bodywork of the Coupé was designed by Bertone, who also took care of the fittings: the body shells were then transported to Milan for the assembly of the mechanical parts and finishings.

Derived from vehicles that were between a racing car and the prototype, the Giulietta Coupé was and is a masterpiece of its genre: snug and streamlined, with a clean and perfectly proportioned line that was a trailblazer. It was so successful that it was produced without variation for more than a decade, even passing on to the subsequent model, the Giulia.

1968 Mercedes 280SE

The Mercedes-Benz W113 SL was developed under the direction of Mercedes-Benz Technical Director Fritz Nallinger, Chief Engineer Rudolf Uhlenhaut, and Head of Styling Friedrich Geiger. The lead designers were Paul Bracq and Béla Barényi. The design featured the patented, slightly concave hardtop, which inspired the ‘Pagoda’ nickname. The model was in production from 1963 through 1971 and was powered by an in-line six-cylinder engine with multi-port fuel injection. The larger capacity 280, with the 2.8-liter engine, was introduced in 1967.

The Mercedes-Benz fifteen ‘New Generation’ models were publicly displayed for the first time at the Frankfurt Auto Show in 1967 and went on sale the following January. It remained largely unchanged until 1971. The 280 SE fuel-injected saloon shared the bodyshell with the ‘New Generation’ 280 S, however, the 280 SE Coupe and Convertible retained the looks of the outgoing 250 SE that had been introduced in 1959 on the 220 SE, designed by Paul Bracq. The all-new Type M130 engine was an overhead-camshaft six-cylinder unit with a 2,778cc displacement. With the help of the fuel-injection system in the ‘SE’ form, the seven-bearing M130 delivered 160 horsepower at 5,500 RPM. Transmission options included a manual or an automatic. The suspension system was essentially the same as the equivalent saloon model but with a lower ride height. Disc brakes at all four corners provided the stopping power.

One of the benefits of the fuel-injected M130 engine was its fuel economy and emissions control.

The 1968 Mercedes-Benz 280 Series was available as a sedan, coupe, or convertible and was powered by an overhead-cam six-cylinder engine with two carburetors and delivered 157 horsepower. The 280SE, 280SL, and 280SEL versions received the same engine but with a 9.5:1 compression ratio and Bosch fuel injection system and delivered 180 horsepower. A four-speed manual was standard with an automatic available as optional equipment.

The interior featured a leather-covered dashboard and most examples had leather upholstery. There was a Becker radio, and round speedometer and rev counter flanking vertically stacked gauges. The padded convertible top was manually operated. The list of options included central locking and power-assisted steering, electric windows, and air conditioning.

1932 Packard Light Eight

The Packard Ninth Series Light Eight Model 900 was an automobile model produced by the Packard Motor Car Company of Detroit, Michigan only during model year 1932. The Light Eight was planned as a new entry model, building off the 1928 Packard Six. It competed in the upper middle-class with makes like GM’s Companion Brand LaSalle, Marquette and Chrysler’s DeSoto, and the top-level products from Studebaker, Hudson, and Nash. The marketing objective was to add a new market segment for Packard during the depression.

Packard did not use yearly model changes in these years. A new series appeared when management felt that there were enough running changes made. Therefore, the Light Eight was introduced during January 1932, together with the new V-12 (called “Twin Six” in its first year to honor the pioneer Packard model built from 1915 to 1923). Standard Eights and Super Eights followed in June 1932.

1966 Porsche 912

The Porsche 912 was similar in design to the 911 and eased the transition from the 356 to the 911. In comparison with the 911, the 912 had fewer amenities, less power, and weighed about 250 pounds less. It was introduced in 1965 as a replacement for the 356 SC as the entry-level car in Porsche’s lineup. A 4-speed manual gearbox (or optional five-speed) was matted to a detuned 356-based 4-cylinder engine that produced 90 horsepower at 5,800 rpm (40 horsepower less than the 911). The 912 appeared identical to the new 911, except was powered by a four-cylinder engine rather than the six found in the 911. The engine was mounted in the rear and powered the rear transaxle. Disc brakes and independent suspension with torsion bars gave the car excellent and impressive handling. The Recaro seats kept the driver planted and the rack-and-pinion steering was very responsive. For an additional cost, the owner could have air-conditioning, a rear window wiper, halogen fog lights, an electric sunroof, and/or three-point seatbelts.

The 912 came in both the coupe and Targa flavors with the coupe being the more popular. About 2562 of the 34,959 912’s were Targas.

The 912 was offered to the public in 1965 and stayed in production until 1969 when the mid-engined 914 was introduced. Due to its low cost, it easily outsold the more powerful 911’s during the first few years. In 1967, the 912 was awarded Car and Driver’s ‘Readers Choice’ for its class. During that same year a 912, driven by Sobieslaw Zasada of Poland, won the European Rally Championship.

2003 BMW E46 M3

The BMW M3 E46 Coupé took the hearts of real sports car fans by storm when it launched in 2000. With a low weight construction and the high-rev concept of its inline 6-cylinder engine, for many it embodied a return to the virtues of the iconic BMW M3 E30. The following year, a convertible followed, combining a sporty experience and the luxury of open-top driving in an unprecedented way.

An M automobile never lacks for clear distinguishing features. As with the iconic M3 E30, the M3 E46 is immediately recognizable as the premium model in its series thanks to numerous details. In particular, aesthetic changes such as widened fenders, special side skirts and the modified front apron catch the eye of every observer. These changes also serve an important purpose, mostly in terms of aerodynamics. This also applies to the so-called Gurney flap at the rear: the small spoiler lip noticeably reduces lift and thus improves to traction – crucial in faster corners.

From a side profile, the E46 M3‘s chrome-plated gills in the upper part of the front fender are a standout feature. These were originally designed as an air duct for cooling the engine. During testing, however, it turned out that the ducts were not necessary. Nevertheless, they remained – and became such an iconic highlight that their appeal extended beyond just fans of BMW M. Not to be missed are the special side mirrors, which are aerodynamically-shaped to cut through the air. The so-called powerdome, the clearly recognizable curvature of the bonnet, created space for the engine’s powerful intake system. The design of the hood left no doubt that there was a real powerhouse hidden under it.

 

Previously Owned

1966_ford_gt_40
1966 Ford GT40 Replica
1997_bmw_m3
1997 BMW E36 M3
1964-Aston-Martin-DB5
1964 Aston Martin DB5
1988-Aston-Martin-Vantage-V8
1988 Aston Martin V8 Volante
1969_ford_mustang_gt
1969 Ford Mustang GT Fastback
1967_corvette
1967 Chevrolet Corvette
1963_chevrolet_corvette
1963 Chevrolet Corvette Split Window
1972_bmw_bavaria
1972 BMW E3 Bavaria
1981-buick-lesabre
1981 Buick LeSabre